Thursday, August 30, 2007

Back to the Future

I love the movie, Disney's 'The Kid,' and it prompts me to ask the question:

If you could go back in time and talk to yourself as a kid, what would you tell your kid-self?

I have never been the type to want to do any age over again. Each year is different, yet the same, and full of possibilities to learn and grow, and have more fun than the year before! However, I know that the desire to share our retrospect with our past selves is tempting...impossible, but tempting.

If I could share what I know now with my kid-self, it might go like this:

Kid, stop worrying about the future and enjoy this time with your family and less responsibility. There will be hard times, and wonderful times, and you'll make it through them all. Don't wait to stand up for what you believe in; someday soon you'll be respected for it instead of harassed. You'll become strong, funny, smart...and boys will finally think you are cute! There is no such thing as a perfect person, God is listening, and your parents really are cool (and right!). Oh, and don't be embarrassed when your mom flashes the sign language for "I love you" in front of your friends...just do it back and mean it. It means more to her now, and it will mean more to you later.

And finally, just love life, SMILE, and don't let the bullies, pouts, and poor sports convince you that you shouldn't enjoy the blessings you have been graced with. Be smart! Be brave! Be bold! It all turns out ok, in His plan.

Of course, I may be a little young to be certain of what I would say, and maybe in 20 more years I'll have more I would want to share with my self now, during this present.

Stay young at heart! Your past is not your future...

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I would tell myself to go to college.Save more money and take more naps.

feather anne said...

You really should write more. You have a lot of good stuff to say.

hit counter">