Sunday, August 26, 2007

When I Get Where I'm Going

This week marks one year since my beloved Grandpa passed away from Alzheimer's. I visited my Grandma this week, who faithfully kisses his picture every day and night and admits she can't wait to be with him in heaven. I miss my Grandpa, but find comfort knowing he is with his two children, waiting for us all to join them for a reunion when our times come.

There is a song that I love by one of my favorite country musicians, Brad Paisley (duet with Dolly Parton, another fave). It's called When I Get Where I'm Going, and it is about how we shouldn't begrudge people the happiness of finally joining our Father in heaven. This is the chorus:

When I get where I'm going there'll be only happy tears.
I will shed the sins and troubles I have carried all these years.
I'll keep my heart wide open, I will love and have no fear.
When I get where I'm going, don't cry for me down here.

Another piece I remember is a poem from the TV show Little House on the Prairie (yes, I love it...and I am teased incessantly by most people my age for it...LOL). A woman new she was dying and wrote the reverend a poem to read at her grave:

Remember me with smile and laughter
for that is how I'll remember you all
If you can only remember me with tears,
Then don't remember me at all.

My Grandpa was known for always having a big smile on his face and being friendly to loved ones and strangers alike. I was surprised God left him here with us so long, because he is such a joy to be around that I was sure He would want him home sooner. So really, the only tears he deserves are tears of gladness that he is safe and sound, and perfect in heaven. I'm not saying this is easy to think and react beyond my own emotions, but it helps to have words and songs to think about when the missing gets stronger than the rejoicing.

Of course, the strongest words of encouragement can be found in Thessalonians 4:13-18. You would do your soul well to look it up and read it slowly, acknowledging the vision it paints, and realizing it will happen, when we all get where we're "going."

In honor of my Grandpa, I pass along to you one of the things he would tell me all the time:

Always wear a smile...so people wonder what you're up to. :)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Brad paisley huh?
Interesting.The words are nice though.

Nikki said...

This is Nikki here and I am kinda offended that you didn't respond to my husbands remark. Hehe. Have a good day.

hit counter">