Thursday, August 23, 2007

Woman to woman...shhhhhhh

Recently I read an article that suggested 10 things to say to "wow" your "guy." I was intrigued, because my husband tries to keep a straight face whenever I compliment him, so I never know if he is flattered or annoyed. So I tried a few of them, and I immediately saw results. Here are the ones I used:

"Your arms are definitely looking bigger."

I said this to him and he got all bashful, and shy, looking modest and said "I don't think so...really?" So cute! Having been married now for several years, I'm finally accepting that men don't want the same compliments women crave. "You look nice," or "I like your hair" doesn't go over the same on most men. However, I do believe that men still care what we think of their bodies and even if they don't admit it, a little affirmation that their bods still spark us up, goes a long way.

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha."

I love laughing, especially when it means encouraging his laugh. The more I talk to fellow wives, the more I realize how silly husbands can be behind closed doors with their wives. Giving a hearty laugh really encouraged the fun behavior and sparked an energy that went beyond a good laugh. ;)

"Wow." or "Impressive!"

It sounded cheesy and stereotypical, but it worked. I don't remember what I chose to respond to with this, but I do remember that he paused in his tracks and looked affirmed. It doesn't matter what you use it for; could be a tremendous feat or an everyday chore, but saying this little word seemed to show my appreciation for his efforts as a man, more than "thank you" or "you did a good job" could ever communicate.

"The kids just adore you."

We don't have kids yet, but I know how important being a good dad will be to my husband when we do have a child. I'll have to remember this affirmation...let me know if it works. :)

"What do you think?"

I often find myself caught up in what "I think" when it comes to decisions in our marriage, and this simple question of interest not only allows him input, but also forces me to slow down and listen.

"Cute feet."

Hard to explain, but it did cause a giggle, smile, and bashful reaction. Often men's feet are not considered appealing, and complimenting this feature proved worth the effort. I think the only time a woman could get away with using "cute" to describe a part of the male body is in this case...use sparingly or they may get suspicious.

"I want you."

Simple, to the point, and obviously meeting one of man's primary interests, and affirming you still find him appealing. Just be sure you have time for the response...


Please feel free to share your own experiences with "wow-ing" your man. In my experience I am happier when he is happy, and he is happy when I am happy; to encourage the circle I'm willing to spare a few one-liners to make his moment. Happy wow-ing!

No comments:

hit counter">