Monday, February 11, 2008

Love thy neighbor?

I just had to share a thought that stuck with me from church yesterday. The pastor said his life was changed by a small quote of C.S. Lewis that was to the effect of the holiest person you'll ever see is your neighbor. He said after reading that thought, that idea, that a person as plain or ordinary as your neighbor could be the holiest person you'll meet, he started looking at all people in a different light. He found more patience, more mercy, and more flexibility with people in general.

The idea he shared was that not only did God give the sacrifice of His precious Lamb, Christ, to me, but he gave it to my neighbors too. God didn't send Christ only for me. He obviously sees something of value and importance in each of my neighbors, friends, family, and strangers alike. Wow! What a concept to see a teeny-tiny glimpse into God's perspective on all of us. We are in a sense all holy...whether or not we choose to reflect it. Meanwhile, I hope and try to serve God in a way that will give my neighbors no doubt that I am worthy of such a label. :)

How can this perspective change your attitude and approach with others?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is cool. I think that is something we can all work on!

nikki

hit counter">