Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The King and The Pawn

Being that La Donna Benedetta is Italian for The Blessed Woman, I searched for Italian Proverbs tonight. I came across this short quote, which I feel has many possible interpretations, both earthly and spiritually.

After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

At first I read this and immediately thought of an earth-bound interpretation, thinking more literally along the lines of games and life, etc. But when I read it again, I saw it as more than just a literal "we're all equal" kind of sentiment.

Simply summed up this proverb supports a lot of what I've been learning spiritually lately: if we live under God's expectations, and use the blessings He gives us to our potential, we all go into the same "box," or heaven. No matter how important, known, or successful we see ourselves, if we meet His expectations for our lives we will all finish the game here on earth and go into heaven together.

Kings and pawns, rich and poor, healthy and weak, smart and simple: all are welcome in heaven's "box." My interpretation may only be relative to me, but as a lover of analogies and comparisons, this Italian proverb "hit home" with me tonight (sorry for the game pun!) LOL.

Many blessings!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great analogy.
One day we'll all stand before the throne of God, and none will say, "I was this" or "I gave this". He'll ask, "What did you do with my Son?"
We will only be admitted to heaven, not because of the things done by us, but for us. The work was done by Another.
King or Pawn, God owes neither a thing, but has provided a sacrifice so He may show mercy on them both.
~Michele

beck's girl said...

Well put, Michele. I may have to use your words in a future blog...such a way of phrasing it with His gentle touch. Thank you for commenting. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think the box represents heaven, i mean doesn't this quote show that "after the game" as in life, we go back to the box...we stop playing. Of course the true meaning is that we are all equals and that once it ends we will all end up in the same place, so the need for superiority is ridiculous.I think we should focus more on the game while we can rather than longing for the "box".

Anonymous said...

The quote doesn't mention any "if." You added that yourself. Instead of trying to tie this in with whichever religion you follow, which is likely not the one the quoted follows, it would probably be wiser to take a step back. You might come to a more interesting and probable conclusion.

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog site on google and verify a number of of your
early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate.
I just further up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader.
Looking for ahead to reading extra from you in
a while!�

My site :: facebook for sex

hit counter">